Tuesday 11 April 2017

Task 3c- Sources of information

The idea of "connectivism" (MDXc, 2017) I find highly stimulating particularly as I am finding this to be the most effective way of improving my learning of my practice and thus have an effect on my professional networks. Like many others the Internet is my main source of information for anything and everything. From what is the weather? to theories related to my studies? to how to make an omelette? I use google for everything. I dread to think how many questions I have typed into google. Taking it deeper into the umbrella of the internet spectrum there are a few main well- established technologies that I use to inform my practice.



It was particularly early on that I recognised my high use of 'Youtube' as an information source. I was frequently posting videos on my blog which lead me to question why? having an understanding of Gardner's "multiple intelligences" (MDXb, 2017)  I decided to see what learner I was. An online test confirmed that I am a visual learner. This clarification of my learning style shows why Youtube is a highly useful tool in order for me to have an effective learning experience. The use of audio-visuals oppose to reading a text stimulates ideas in my mind, gives me reassurance, clarification, and confidence. I use Youtube as a way to stimulate ideas for choreography in this case I do rely quite heavily on it to inform my practice I feel it gives me the confidence to then act upon my own ideas. The use of youtube is also integrated within my classes in topics that I teach I often refer to youtube to outsource a video to show the children as another means to express, reinforce the topic and develop their learning. I believe this in turn helps those learners in the classroom that are visual learners.
When it comes to Youtube copyright is a major issue with this source of information. Be it I upload a video of my choreography to the site or that I am using a video for ideas. My work is at risk of being copied and it is my responsibility to not copy the work of others.



Blogs where all new to me upon starting this course. I have found they are not only important for the use of my studies on the course but in my practice and have since discovered other 'educators' within my practice that write blogs. Below is the link to one I have particularly enjoyed reading-
https://aprimaryschoolteacher.wordpress.com
The blogs of other educators I currently do not rely heavily upon as a way of informing my practice but can see as my practice develops further into the teaching role they can do. However  the use of other peers (from the BAPP  course) blogs, tutor comments, and comment on my blogs are informing my practice. I am being introduced to new ideas, new networks, sources of information, organisations. I have found module 3 students 'Lois May-Hunt' particularly useful to sources of organisations within my practice http://lois-mayhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/task-2d-inquiry.html
Developing my knowledge of the wider communities will in turn develop my practice.



I remember Paula asking us the question during a Skype session 'how to you keep up date with news' and I shameful answered I don't or if I did have it on it was merely as background noise and be little extract much learning from it. Having worked at sea for numerous years civilisation and reality (access to TV, internet connection, newspapers, radio) became very distant. I knew this was something I needed to address. Since doing so I now make a regular point to watch the news daily be this at nighttime or in the morning, I have downloaded a news app, I have started reading the 'teacher network' by the Guardian. Not only watch it but extract some meaning and relevance to me and my practice taking on Dewy's idea of 'An active, persistent and carful consideration of any belief or supposed from of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends' (MDXb, 2017). This information source informs my practice in a a large way. As knowledge is ever expanding

'Learners as little as forty years ago would complete the required schooling and enter a career that would often last a lifetime. Information development was slow. The life of knowledge was measured in decades. Today, these foundational principles have been altered. Knowledge is growing exponentially. In many fields the life of knowledge is now measured in months and years' (Siemens, 2004, online).   

The news is the fastest way to keep up today the with this new knowledge. In turn it is not only my practice that is effected it is then the children that I teach there knowledge, well being, future. 



In the emerging digital world we live in today talking face to face is something we do very little of. Thankfully daily my practice is informed by discussion. In a class situation involving a teacher, advanced teaching assistant and two general teaching assistants' daily discussions are vital to in order a smooth ever changing working day with children and to keep up with the developments of the children. At the end of each day we review situations and assess and analyse the days learnings to inform our future practice.
These discussions inform my practice and I value them as important to enhance further learning of practice. Other practitioners I am working with are highly experienced through the discussion of how I handled a situation, the outcomes, planning for future occurrences and them drawing upon their past experience they are able to inform my practice.
Discussions can rise many confidentiality issues in terms of safeguarding a child. It is my responsibility to disclose any information given to me to other members of staff that need to be informed in order to protect the child and their well being.



Im not an avid user of many social media sites but I do like Instagram. I find it more personable and positive rather than other social media sites and I enjoy the visual aspect. Although I am finding it is becoming less apparent within my current network I can still find some importance in this source to inform my practice. I follow many health/fitness/wellness motivators on my profile in turn the information gained is how to live and lead a healthy lifestyle and keeps me motivated. Having an effect on my body, my mental state, health and general well being. I believe it is important as an educator to invest in these components so they can invest in the minds and promote a healthy well being to the children. 


Again TED Talks are a new source of information for me since starting the BAPP course. I had previously never watched one but since have watched a few. I have found this source to hold value to me, again the visual aspect enhances and engages my learning and seems to draw and develop more understanding of already thought of ideas as well as creating new ideas. The listening to other peoples ideas related to my practice will help inform my choices and decision within my practice. 
One very poignant ted talk that I have watched so far is from Richard Dwyer, I highly recommend it- 




2 comments:

  1. I too love to read other student/tutor blogs to gain more insight, I always find it interesting how different people interpret different things. It's also comforting perhaps to know others on the same journey as you. I saw on Jennifer's blog you often have extra discussions to help each other which I think is fantastic - sometimes it's nice to bounce ideas off someone else. I try to follow the news via apps mainly (Feels like I have the world in the palm of my hand!)and when I don't read it for a while I feel a sort of disconnect with the world. I think keeping up with current affairs is important because the world around us influences what we do (whether that be on purpose or not!) I really enjoyed reading how you use different platforms, I don't use Instagram professionally so to speak, so Id be interested to investigate that more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Jessica. I agree it is interesting to see how people interpret things differently.

    The word 'current affairs' was what I was looking for when writing this but wouldn't come to mind so thankyou for commenting that! Your right current affairs do influence us and relates a lot to the theory of 'social constructionism' .

    ReplyDelete