Saturday 1 April 2017

What is my Professional Practice?

This is a blog I have been meaning to do for a while...... (finally got round to doing it)

The term 'professional practice' really baffled me for the first few weeks of the course. It was a concept I just couldn't get my head around. Particularly that of Professional Practice of the Arts.
Although I am still teaching dance for some reason I couldn't see myself connected to the Arts.
Through the use of the tasks, reflection, other peoples blogs. I feel I now have a good understanding of the term and had a 'light bulb moment'.

This description really helped-
'Professional practice' refers to a way of conceptualising ideas about the work that you do. The 'professional' practitioner reflects on practice, seeks to advance and enhance professional knowledge and skills and stakeholders within and beyond their practice.
Source:BA Professional Practice Arts (135W99X), Topic: Induction

One blog that really helped me was module 3 student 'Lois-May Hunt'. Who describes her practice as 'thing' rather than a singular job.  http://lois-mayhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/skype-18032016-thoughts-and-new-findings.html

As I've journeyed I feel I know have a good understanding of the term. I can conclude I see my professional practice as a thing rather than a job and that of 'an Art's educator'.
Know I have a good understanding I look forward to developing further and becoming a professional 'Arts educator' practitioner.


Try ask yourself the same questions- what is your professional practice?




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I think the realisation that a 'professional practice' 'seeks to advance and enhance professional knowledge and skills' lends well to what our tutors on the course have been trying to get across. This is a helpful description as I begin the Critical Reflection. 'Conceptualising ideas' about the work I do helps to open up the way in which I can approach my critical reflection.
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete