Monday 20 February 2017

Task 1b: Developing ideas

As I discovered from my initial reaction of the reader to then relating it to practice their is a blurred line between personal/social and professional/social boundaries with web 2.0 and crosses over with that of ethical issues. As I am now within teaching I was shocked to discover what 'Kuhen' stated 'teachers are the most vulnerable group in danger'. This has led me to do more reading into the topic.

I particularly enjoyed reading Kuhens article on 'manage your digital footprint'.
https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/National%20Office/2012/02/osos106_Digital_Footprint.pdf

I was pleased to see when I did google my name that nothing came up. But this made me question is it a good thing to hide everything? In an article from Huffington post 'according to research , a huge 91% of employers, use linkdln, twitter, and Facebook to screen candidates'. So if you have nothing on your social media sites does that underline you have something to hide?

I always have and always will be careful of what I post on social media. But how safe are we really? and what is the boundary? who creates these boundaries? is there a way we can distinguish the professional and personal boundaries?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/25/social-media-job-prospects-impact-should-we-be-scared_n_2550921.html

One idea of the reader is that of 'harnessing collective intelligence' but are we really? don't we tend to like or follow people that we are interested in or have similar thoughts, feelings and interests with. i.e. other performers will follow other creative arts people rather than say footballers, builders, politicians. Although you may think we are being open minded are we really?

Heres an interesting read from CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/health/facebook-study-narrow-minded-trnd/index.html

This made me question within my practice as I have changed from being a performer to a teacher do I need to start using different communication technologies and discover how do teachers communicate? what technologies do they use? should i start follow them on social media sites?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    I had the exact same thoughts as you regarding how safe you have to be online regarding what we post etc so I really enjoyed reading this. Some of the stats like 91% of employers screen candidates using social websites, which is crazy to think how powerful social media is!! A great read though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree - it is perhaps easier for those who did not grow up with things online - but that is what privacy settings are there for...

    ReplyDelete