Monday 20 February 2017

Task 1c: Audio-Visual

For Task 1c we are asked to look at using Youtube as a tool and make a video about our time on the course so far.

Whilst reading reading further into the web 2.0 after reader 1 I discovered at how popular You Tube is-






http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/11610959/Is-your-daily-social-media-usage-higher-than-average.html

I was quite shocked with these figures and feel I have under estimated how useful and widely available youtube is.

Youtube is a tool I have used extensively over my professional practice as a performer to market myself. As I feel very compliant with this tool I have taken this opportunity to update my showreels rather than making a new video. As I have come to the end of my career performing I thought it would be a perfect time to do this and have them to look back on... (or show the grandkids? back when I was dancer.....)

I have decided to keep within the terms of what a showreel should be like as if I was to send to a casting director.

https://www.starnow.com/help/14/

After talking with a casting director for a production company I asked their views on what makes a good showreel. They emphasised that casting directors are often sent 100's a day therefore it is important to make yours stand out. They are very busy people and are limited on time so the first 30 seconds are the most important as sometimes that is all they will watch.

After spending along time trying to cut down my showreels I decided to opt for two showreels. The first showreel being a brief overview of my skills and the second being an extended version for if an employee wanted to see more.


When uploading these I also revised my security settings. Previously I had my videos set to public and included tags so employees could easily find my showreel and increase my opportunities of employment. But now as my practice has changed and I am not actively seeking for work as a performer I felt it necessary to change my settings to 'private'.

I am interested to see how 'YouTube'  as a programme will support my developing professional practice.





2 comments:

  1. I have helped out in a number of different sectors in the arts - and the showreel being as brief as possible always seems to be a point - I had this conversation about animation - again - the shorter the better for the final film - but I think having a longer one also makes sense - because brevity might not show a casting director what they need to see - so having something to hand makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnakyou for you response Paula. I to felt this was an ideal way to do it. The shorter one gives a nice overview but ideally they should want to see more and having an extended one can go into more depth.

    ReplyDelete