Saturday 4 March 2017

What does professionalism mean to you?

One of the discussion points that Paula raised in our Skype session was 'What does being professional mean to you?'

This is something that I have never really thought about but for the past few years I have openly said I am a 'professional dancer'. I decided to actually see what the definition of professional is- 

I feel this is quite a board definition. You may have the qualifications and skills to be able to engage in an activity as a paid occupation but I feel that many other skills are appropriate in stating you are a professional. To explore these ideas I have chosen to explore a new web 2.0 based technology that I have not used before called 'Prezi'. I came across this from a blog by a primary school teacher, Ashley Azzopardi (2012) who gives a list of web 2.0 tools that can be used for effective learning within the classroom. 

As my career plan is to go into primary teaching I feel now is the appropriate time in becoming equipped with the use of new technology tools. I have found it quite stressful but have a real sense of achievement as I pursued through and completed my first presentation. Please use the link below to check it out (caution: it is rather rough around the edges, but it is my first attempt!) 


I think is a fantastic web 2.0 tool that I think I will continue to develop through out my practice. 

Communication:




Factors that effect my communication?
  • Audience
  • Effectiveness
  • Time 
  • Cost
Taking into consideration what professionalism means to me I think my communication is greatly effected by who my audience is . Is it a fellow professional/peer, parent, or pupil?
I always want to keep a professional relationship and as there is a blurred line with social media (as discussed in other blogs) of professional/personal use. I would personally choose not to use a web 2.0 professional communication technology to communicate with pupils. 

In terms of my practice I am using the web 2.0 a lot for communication with peers and tutors because of the nature of the course but I will always consider my use of language to keep things professional. 

So far I have already been opened up to the world of web 2.0. I have created a blog, used Skype, developed my skills further with YouTube, and Prezi. I am discovering there is a whole other world out there beyond Facebook, twitter and Instagram and I am interested to see what other tools i discover and how I can effectively use these communication technologies in my practice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment