Friday 3 March 2017

Task 1b in practice

It is strange how when you read or see something or explore and idea it then becomes so apparent in your day to day life. After reading reader 1 I have noted the use/concerns/ and ideas regarding web 2.0 in my workplace, on the news, with friends, family and in articles. Is it by coincidence or is that I am just paying more attention?

I am currently working as TA in a school in a class with 3 other professionals who are older than me. Each morning the class teachers have brief and then pass on relevant notes to us. This morning's notes related to that of web 2.0 devices such as YouTube and that we need to be more aware of pupils using them as not all our banned on the computer system. Often the case is that the internet is sending links to things that are recommends for you, which can then lead them on to things that are not suitable for their age group. We discussed the matter and after discussion they said they don't even really know how to work these sort of sites. Having read about it and seeing it relevant in practice made me think even more how important it is to be update with these technologies and understood the security risks of them. I like Prensky's theory we are either a 'digital immigrant' or 'digital native'. Although I have been brought up with many of these technologies they are rapidly developing and I don't want to become lost and become an 'immigrant' within the technology world. As I am learning web 2.0 technologies are a vital tool not only as for communication but as a learning device.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    Thanks for that piece. Found it enlightening. Am going to research Prensky. Like the terminology "native" or "immigrant". Sometimes it does feel like another language.

    ReplyDelete