Sunday 26 March 2017

Task 2c: Critical Reflection on reflective practice

My initial reaction to reflective practice is that it is a highly valuable tool to me. As I have chosen this course to help with my transition of 'artist' to 'educator' (I hope to complete the BAPP course which will then lead me onto a PCGE). This route I felt would be best to support my as learning style visual and kinaesthetically. I can gain a wider range of knowledge and understanding of teaching by observing other teachers and by actively teaching. Being able to use my everyday experiences will play a big factor for my future knowledge and transition into primary education. This was the aim that I set at the beginning of the year but like most I got caught up in life and started going about day to day life without much thought. It wasn't until the introduction of reflective practice and bold idea of "turning experience into learning" (MDXb, 2017) that I have really started to expand my knowledge of my practice.

I feel Dewey's theory of "reflective thought"(MDXb, 2017has a big part to play in this. Having a 'higher level of engagement' with my practice has meant I am discovering ideas, finding areas of interest, deepening my understanding of my practice, finding ways to improve my practice, and is allowing me to think critically in turn making me have a better self awareness and open mind.

As I've transitioned from being a 'performer' to an 'educator' not only has my practice changed; my work and home environment has and I've started a new form of study. These are all new situations which are not familiar to me. On a daily basis I'm having doubts, uncertainty of a situation, unsure of my skills and knowledge, and its these times of 'doubt and perplexity' that Dewey believes reflection begins (MDXb, 2017).

Having the use of journal has helped articulate my thinking. This being said my journal has highlighted there are times when I have struggled to reflect. Days in which I have not been engaged with my practice due to other things on my mind, or tiredness. I have not been able to reflect or draw as much understanding or knowledge. Another reason I believe is down to where I enter Kolbs learning cycle. When I enter at the 'concrete experience' (MDXb, 2017) I have found it harder to engage with reflection but times when I have entered at either 'abstract conceptualisation' or 'reflective observation' (MDXb, 2017) I have found the reflective process easier. I often use 'observation' (MDXb, 2017) for situations that are new to me like creating a blog, reflecting on this process is easier than say that of teaching a jazz class which is 'a concrete experience' (MDXb, 2017). When I enter learning at the 'concrete experience' stage I will often reflect-in-action, an idea suggested by Schon 1987 (MDXb, 2017) and use my tactic knowledge so when it comes to 'reflecting on action' I struggle to find meaning or gain learning from this. This is an area I need to articulate on, like Osterman and Moon said 'because they have understanding and meaning in them which are important to access' (MDXb, 2017). Going forward my awareness of this is the first stage of 'reflective thought' and hope that through the use of a journal my understanding and learning will deepen.

Another reason I have to believe that reflective practice is a vital tool is that not only improves my learning but also that of my pupils. This became apparent a few weeks ago when I had a meeting at work to discuss a pupils learning and to set new targets. Those involved in the meeting were the class teacher; the teaching assistants (myself being one of them) and the schools pastoral manager led the meeting. Using Schon's idea we 'reflected-on-action' (MDXb, 2017). The pastoral manager had made two observations of the pupil in class the results of which she then shared her with us. Through discussion we then set new targets for the pupil looking at how these best needed to be met by the staff. I can apply this process with Lewin's theory of plan/action/observe and reflect. We reflected on her observations, discussing what isnt working as well and what is working. We planned how we can move forwards, set targets and actions to be put in place. We are now in action phase and have another observation planned for a few weeks time. Through this reflective process not only has the knowledge and understanding of the teachers been developed it will then impact the learning of the pupil. Reflection-on-action was a rather intimating process for myself. Working with peers who have more experience in this field I felt nervous to share my ideas; as I am unsure of what they have tried and not tried (due to starting half through a school year); I doubted my lack of knowledge of the child's disability; and worried i may struggle to verbalise ideas clearly. Although I felt this initial intimidation I feel that I contributed well to reflection, recalling things which have worked well. Also I reviewed the current targets and helped set new targets and discussed ideas on how best to meet these.

Alongside working in an SEN school I am also teaching dance at a local dance school. The annual dance school show is fast approaching where each class performs a number. Although the principal choreographs most numbers she has asked me to do two numbers. Choreography is not something I particularly enjoy I struggle to come up with ideas or let my imagination be free. I planned to start started the choreography process a few weeks a go but continually put it of (this was highlighted in my journal). I felt I could no longer put it off and I decided to look at Kolbs learning cycle to help with this process. Knowing I prefer to 'observe' (MDXb) as a way to initiate my thinking I started the cycle at the 'reflective observation' stage looking at ideas of choreography on YouTube and from my repertoire of shows. This allowed me to gain ideas for choreography. I noted down movements I liked, what I wanted to include, ideas for music 'abstract conceptualise' (MDXb, 2017). With theses ideas I experimented with some choreography 'active experimentation' I then taught this choreography to the pupils in lesson having a 'concrete experience'. The use of theory really helped me to actively think of new choreography and start the process. After the choreographing process has finished I intend to use the cycle again to review my piece and develop my understanding and knowledge to help with future choreographing projects.

One principal I am particularly interested in is that of the interplay of the conscious and unconscious mind. This is something I am becoming more aware of allowing the unconscious mind to be free and allowing myself access to this as a form of expanding my understanding to allow me to be as Dewy suggest 'active, persistent and carefully consider any belief or supposed knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends' (MDXb, 2017). I have found exercise and meditation are strong components in allowing this to happen for me. In doing so my articulation and communication of the expanding understanding has been more engaged, enjoyable and has flowed with ease. Due to the nature of the course and work commitments it is hard to make time for this, but i feel it is something I need to do, to allow myself to have access to this and to develop it further.
Although my practice is not that of a teacher just yet, it was reassuring to have it confirmed by reader 2 that  'reflection is used in and by a number of professions, particularly those whose job it is to be involved in a process of change, example- teachers in the process of education' (MDXb, 2017)

Having put reflective practice into use I can see it as a highly useful tool not only for now but for
the future. I will continue to use this tool and hope to develop my articulation of tacit knowledge, my verbal communication required for reflection-on-action and allowing the unconsciousness to aide.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lauren - it is good to see you applying the ideas of reflection to your work - you have given examples that and also noted areas to look at and improve and you have been able to identify the ideas/theories such as Dewey and Gardner http://infed.org/mobi/howard-gardner-multiple-intelligences-and-education/ - continue to build your knowledge of reflection in education - there are plenty of good sources out there - like Institute of Education and http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/8660/1/the-reflective-teacher.pdf - have a look around. Also like your like with the creative process with choreography - would like to hear more about that in a another blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this. Dewey and Kolb' learing cycle and how it relates to your practice was clear.

    I totally understand that your "work, environment and new form of study" comment.
    I have seen "Man and Superman" the play by George Bernard Shaw. This contains the famous line -
    "He who can, does; He who cannot teaches".
    A sentiment I do not agree with as some of the most exciting teachers have often been performers first. This is relevant to us as we can bring our past experiences and knowledge and add them to our current practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for the comments.

    Paula- Thankyou for the read I will have a look. I will keep blogging about the choreography process

    Amanda- Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed writing it and feel very proud of this piece.
    I also don't agree with that sentiment. I think having the art's skills of a performer make a great teacher and are realising that daily. Being at the front of the classroom is your stage and the children are your audience. You have to be constantly in performer mode as children pick up on everything- I'm soon realising that!

    ReplyDelete