Tuesday 14 March 2017

Skype session: Reflective Practice

Last night I had a Skype session with tutor Paula, Jess Dinmore and Jessica Stokes.

It was a big contrast to the last Skype conversation with 12 participants to just 4 of us this time.

We first tackled the problem of finding reader 2. which has been a problem for a few people, turns out it is very easy when you know how. Here is how to find it-
1. Log into my uni hub
2. Click on 'My Courses'
3. Select 2nd drop down '2016/17  WBS3730 (WBA)'
4. Scroll down over half way down the page you will see the readers.

Our main topics discussed was that of reflective practice.

We each said what our reflective journals looked like. For most of us an A5 size notebook. For me I used it as the perfect excuse to spend way much longer than necessary looking in the stationary aisle in Sainsbury's and the opportunity to buy a new diary. I went for a slimline leather journal. I like to write and I am going to try to get in the habit of reflecting when I get into bed at night. (I am desperately trying not to use my phone when I get into bed at night as I feel effects my sleep!) so hopefully having something else to do will help with this.

Paula suggested the use of a laptop or phone which is something I hadn't even thought about. But will consider to do when I am out and feel the need to write something privately I will make a note on my phone. She also suggested the use of visuals and diagrams to reflect. Straight after our Skype conversation session I saw both of these visuals which relate to reflection-



I think is a great way to apply reflection not only to apply reflection to your practice but to your whole life. 

I think this image is a great simple way 
of putting reflection and how I feel the use of reflection is going to help me. 

Ways that Paula suggested 'how to analyses reflection'-
How it fits in with other parts of society/communities
Making sense of what you have reflected on.

Now I finally have the reader I am looking forward to going more in depth with the ideas of  reflective practice.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, just had a read through this and I am so glad to see what you have learnt from other students who are further on in the course. As I am not in London much and work so much through the week also it will be hard for me to attend these so i'm glad you wrote about it so we can see. I also thought that we should get a few students together to have a skype session to reflect on the course so far, not only will this help us all get to learn more on a personal level but since we are concentrating on reflection at the moment this could be a great way of us all to share our opinions and we could even use group discussions as one of our days in our reflective journal?
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, I unfortunately iss3d this Skype session (due to my own disorganisation!) But this has been a great help. I, like you, enjoy writing and was excited to buy myself a new journal for this purpose. I did start a word document as my reflective Journal on my tablet, but I do think think you can be old fashioned pen and paper! I also intend for this to be the last thing I do before going to sleep, or reading a book, as my phone is usually the last thing I look at before I go to sleep.
    Thanks for posting this blog about the Skype session, very helpful for those of us who missed this. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad this has been of help for you both. Hope you are getting on well with the journal x

    ReplyDelete