Sunday 5 March 2017

Task 1d

The use of Images and audio visual is becoming more and more prevalent in todays social media. In the past year we have seen a big increase in audio visual aspects on various sites. 


Instagram- added an audio visual aspect where you can create a story
Snapchat
Facebook live
Facebook- videos automatically play on your news feed. 
YouTube- big increase in 'vlogging'. 

There are numerous reasons why I think images and audio-visual are important aspect of social media today- 


1. Time- Taking a picture or videoing something as your doing it is less time consuming than writing what you are conveying.


2. Draws attention- Having an image on a post makes it stand out and more memorable.


3. Direct


4. Language- There are no language barriers. I like the quote Amanda used in her blog 'Photos are a universal language'. 


5. Clarity- Writing can be misleading. The writer knows the type of mood and tone but it could come across differently to the receiver. Audio visual allows both sides to observe facial expressions and gestures. Hear tones and inflections in the voice. 


6. Engaging


7. Creates ideas


8. Retention- when audio visual are combined it increases message retention. I found these stats quite interesting- 

10% is retaninted- from oral communication 
35% is retained- from visual communication
65% retained- from audio and visual combinded. 

Source: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/audiovisual-media-considered-powerful-tool-means-communication-33541.html 


9. Creates stronger relationships- Being able to put a face to a name helps create a better image and eases communication.  


As with anything in life; there are implications of the use of audio-visual 


1. Cost- Technology comes at a price. Having a phone with a camera is going to cost more than a phone without one. 


2. Ethical considerations- when taking the picture have you asked all of the people in the picture or video shot for their consent for you to post it on social media?


3. Ownership- Although you 'own' the photographs you grant the social media sites a licences to use your photograph. I found this  a very interesting read-


http://www.nyccounsel.com/business-blogs-websites/who-owns-photos-and-videos-posted-on-facebook-or-twitter/


4. False advertising- as there are so many photo editing applications out there are you getting the 'real image' or is it something that has been recreated. 


As you will see from my other blogs I have used images frequently. For me they help convey what I mean as I feel sometimes my words aren't strong enough to display my thought pattern. But after reading about copyright right and laws I feel I should not be doing this without asking permission. This is something I will have to take into consideration as I continue my practice and progress into inquiry stages if I would like to use images in my work. 


One image bank I have used extensively over the past few years is Instagram. I started using instagram as a social tool to keep in touch with friends and family as I was travelling. But over the past few years it has progressed and I started to use it more as a professional tool. 


Instagram has played a big part of my life and become more apparent as a professional tool when I started suffering with anxiety; depression; hyper gymnasia; and no idea of how to have a balanced diet, exercise regime or lifestyle. It became apparent to me I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle and the mind games I was suffering with each day weren't healthy and that I didn't have to go through with it. I choose to use this technology to educate myself and begun following other people that posted about health, food, fitness and wellness and in turn feel I have educated myself and managed to become one of those educators and now enjoy a healthy balanced diet and lifestyle. Below is the link to my Instagram page if you would like to get more of an idea of me and one of my passions. 


https://www.instagram.com/harpers_healthy_habits/?hl=en 


As I am unfamiliar with Flickr I have decided to become acquaint and utilise the time to learn a new technology tool. Below is the link to my first album where I have chosen to display some images from my time as a performer in the Arts industry. 


https://www.flickr.com/gp/152689824@N04/Gae26h



As Amanda and myself have discussed through blogs and comments that our 'level of knowledge about the other person effects interaction'. Because of the nature of the BAPP course I hope allowing other peers to have an insight into my life through my social media profiles will allow more interaction to further our studies. 








No comments:

Post a Comment