Saturday 25 March 2017

Peeling back the layers

In the reader it asks us to have a look at an idea that we are interested in as a way of practicing critical reflection. I really like the analogy of 'unpicking the layers'. For me to understand this I envisage an onion. The centre is the idea but in oder to get to this you must peel back the layers (the opinions, thoughts, experiences).


An idea of what I like is something I have really struggled to come to terms with and I couldn't think of anything. So I started to look at the things I do daily that I wouldn't usually question as these are the things that I must value or have a an option or belief about. For me this is exercise and eating a healthy balanced diet.

One idea that I particularly like about these topics is that a healthy diet and daily exercise helps towards a more positive well being. Why do I like this idea? and why am I so quick to think this true? Part of the reason is because I advocate this lifestyle. I find days when I exercise and eat well I have more energy, have a positive attitude, feel healthier, happier, more productive and engaged in what I am doing.  It led me to question what is wellbeing? 'the state of being comfortable, healthy or happy'. Having thought about it these are the things that contribute to me having a healthy well being. For someone else they may feel this in a different way and be made up by different factors. This makes me realise that this idea of exercise and diet contributes to a healthy well being may not work for everyone. As this is more about my feelings and values of well being and what works for mine. I had assumed that everyone must do this in order to have a healthy well being.

Sources- https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/well-being

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren - what an interesting discovery - that 'well being' is personal to each individual and what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. I too was under the impression that a healthy diet and exercise were the main factors for the best possible well being. However, after reading your inquiry into this 'theory' - I now can see that this might not be the case for everyone. I share your experiences with feeling all-round better when I exercise and eat healthily - I don't get tired as easily and have more energy to be productive i.e. complete college work.
    I have found your Instagram enjoyable to follow also, there are always such yummy food pictures to inspire my own recipe ideas :)
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you seen http://www.onedanceuk.org/programme/healthier-dancer-programme/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eleanor. I to found it such an interesting discovery. I have always used the word well being with out much idea of it. Health and happiness are things that people will all feel in different ways. I am first to admit that I do judge people quite quickly about diet/exercise/lifestyle but I guess if they have a positive well being is that all that matters?

    Paula- Thankyou for the link. It is not something I have seen before and have got very excited just from a brief look at this. I will have a deeper look in time. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete