Saturday 18 March 2017

The Empty Nesters' club


I have never really seen a straight acting play before, especially not one with only 3 characters. One of the reasons I stopped the travelling was to be able to do recreational activities like this. With mothers day close by I choose to see what was on at our local theatre and take my mum.

I live in the beautiful seaside town of Scarborough, which is home to the famous Alan Acyborn theatre in the round at the 'Stephen Joesph Theatre'.  We went to see the 'The Empty Nesters' Club' by John Godber.

I have chosen this experience to reflect upon and try it out on a blog rather than my journal. I would be interested to see if anyone could have any input to how I could expand my reflection.

What did it make me feel?
Well I cried and laughed the whole way through. I felt like they had written a script on my family life.
It was so socially relevant. It made me feel normal to know that lots of other families have and are going through very similar situations and we are not the only ones.
I walked away to feel I was very grateful to live in a beautiful town with fantastic arts facilities to offer good theatre.
Grateful to have supportive parents.

How can it be related to my practice?
Highlighted some areas of the education system- fast track system of education are just marketing tools.
The importance of arts to connect and educate people.
Highlighted the pressures on younger children today due to social media sites.
Relevance to my BAPP studies and some ideas that where highlighted from reader 1 - we are living in an ever increasing digital world, our desire for direct human communication will become a much sought after commodity.
Is enough being done in education to explain to students about university and life after it.
How the voice can express a range of emotions/feelings/characters. Something I am realising as I am teaching is the range of tones and variety in my voice to engage children and the wide range of ages I teach.


If anyone is interested here is the trailer for the play -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjP69Da2K0Q


1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren!
    I particularly appreciated your realisation that oftentimes good work is on our doorstep. I am finding this with my own writing - there is an abundance of venues and opportunities for me to showcase my own work; we just need to open our eyes.
    A scary reflection point you made was the one on our desire for direct human communication, and how this will become more and more urgent. It would be interesting to see your further exploration of this ethical issue, I would love to discuss this area.
    Finally, I found how you related the performances to your professional practice of teaching helpful. Voice is a major issue with teaching and I think sometimes I am not as aware of maintaining my voice as I should be. After all, it is an essential tool for our professional practice.
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete