Thursday 26 October 2017

Case study 2: ethics in photography


What does each approach do for the greater understanding of the morals of the case?

Taking a cosnequentilaist  approach I can see the morals of how he didn't want to create an epidemic and take a risk in the cause of more deaths oppose to just the one. With a deontologist approach he is following the rules as 'he was instructed not to touch anyone' and his role and duty 'is to observe and not interfere'.  With a virtue ethicist approach i find it more difficult to understand but perhaps it is not within his character to help out- doesn't have a caring nature? selfish? but then also professional as he follows the rules of his practice. 

Should the ground rule and ethical duties as photojournalist be ignored for the sake of human life? 
In this case I feel the ground rules and ethical duties should be ignored but perhaps that is because within my personal nature I am a caring person and strive to help others. I think its a matter of opinion and personal characters and whether you choose to obaide by professional or personal ethics. 

Where does the standard of beneficence come into play?
I feel in this case the standard of beneficence hasn't come into to play. I think the standards of beneficence should always be at the forefront of mind and at the risk of any harm physical or mental to the research participants health and wellbeing there needs to be amends to the research being carried out or rules and duties to be ignored. 

Anyone else got any thoughts on this case study and questions asked?

2 comments:

  1. I Lauren,

    I have also blogged about this particular case study.

    I understand he had rules to follow, however if I was in his position, it is not in my nature not to help, so I would put rules aside, even if it meant risking my job to save a life. I personally feel like there wouldn't even be a doubt in my mind, but as you said it may not be in his character.
    It is a difficult case study to comment on, as his guilt was so immense it took him to take his own life. As you said, it is a better of opinion and depends on a person's character, but I think we definitely have the same view and we would have approached the situation in a different way to that of the photographer.
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am having to agree on this with you both. I found this so difficult to read, I found myself thinking how can you not help? How can you watch somebody struggle like that?!
    I suppose we havent been in the situation and can't even imagine being put in that situation, although we all believe we would help we wouldn't know until being in there in the moment.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete