Friday 27 October 2017

Reflection on the development of my practice


Since starting module two I have become more aware of the role of the teacher, the relationship they have with a student, the impact they can have on a child's wellbeing, amount they can influence a persons life. Case study 3 rang particularly true and I am often faced with that dilemma after watching other colleagues teaching classes. I feel other teachers within my community of practice do not understand the implications or impact their teaching behaviour has on those they teach or recognise the moral obligations they have. I have begun to question my decisions on behaviour management, how I handle situations within my class, the content, approaches and methods used.

When looking at ethics within dance I came across these two interesting article -  http://www.ethicsdance.co.uk/resources/downloads/A-Dancer-is-A-Person.pdf
http://www.ethicsdance.co.uk/resources/downloads/embodying-ethics-in-dance-teaching-practice-powerpoint-slides-finland.pdf

I feel this is very true for me (body centred) and has made me look at my teaching in a different perspective. I have already noticed a change within my practice and I am now going to continue use a person centred approach rather than body centred approach as i feel it is a more ethical approach.









1 comment:

  1. I agree entirely with this, we have grown mainly receiving a body centred teaching approach in our training, that naturally we have adopted this technique. It is only when you step back and look at the effect your or your colleagues teaching has on the children you can adapt. It is often the consensus that when we learn something new, we learn how to do it. With teaching I think it is really valuable to your practice to also learn how not to do something.

    ReplyDelete