Wednesday 4 October 2017

Dancer vs Teacher

An observation I have become aware of in my awakening and felt to share with others is the difference between that of a life as a dancer and to that of a teacher.

As a performer, specifically a dancer, we don't have much room for exploration. We are instructed by choreographers, directors, producers, dance captains on the precision of every movement, from spacing, intention, height of a leg line, to angle of head or alignment of the hand.You are modelled and shaped to fit a casting brief. Furthermore in the environment of the workplace you follow and adhere to strict rules. Whereas within education I am experiencing a lot more freedom. you have opportunities to experiment with class structure, content, opportunities to learn from other practitioners, opportunities to collaborate, discuss and share ideas, ever day is different!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren - what a great perception. Oftentimes the most creative ideas come from having to think up new ways to stimulate a class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    As a teacher this is something I am finding out. As we have much more freedom it also means we can switch it up with the teaching techniques and also see how each students learns differently. As a performer I agree how everything is very strict so everyone looks the same so to now experience teaching I think it is great to explore the freedom as I have learnt much more about myself and my students.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren, totally agree with this. I teach around 4 days a week and have only just got a grasp on lesson planning. As a performer, although you need to practice you can just turn up, learn the chore and rehearse and go home.
    As a teacher I find this involves so much planning, choreographing show dances, preparing children for exams, festival solos, exam dances, thinking of new ideas and concepts to keep the children entertained. It really is endless, but also very rewarding. Emily x

    ReplyDelete